By Staff Reports
(Victor Valley)– The holidays remind many of us of the great blessings we have been given all year long and the tought of giving something back comes into our mind. But what is the best way to help our fellow man? How can one person make a difference?
By following the tips below, you can make a big difference in your community.
- Contact local homeless shelters, food banks and soup kitchens to find out what they need most.
- Provide warm coats, blankets and clothes for people in need.
- Purchase gifts made by residents in a shelter so they’ll receive the proceeds.
- Help wrap gifts that have been donated to the shelter so residents can have the fun of unwrapping a holiday surprise.
- Buy canned goods and other nonperishable items and deliver them to a soup kitchen or food bank.
- Teach a homeless person new skills to help him or her get a job.
- Purchase nonprescription medicines such as allergy and cold pills, adhesive bandages and aspirin for residents.
- Donate paper goods such as toilet paper and paper towels to the shelter.
- Help shelter residents get into the holiday spirit by providing a Christmas tree, menorah and other decorations to liven up the place.
- Bring cookies and punch to a shelter for an impromptu holiday party.
- Hand out food vouchers to people on the street so they can get something to eat.
- Order an extra meal to go when you eat out, or bring your leftovers home, and offer the food to someone hungry who is living on the street.