(Apple Valley)–Flowers and allergies aren’t the only things that grow in the spring. The country’s pet population also blooms, filling animal shelters across America. The Town of Apple Valley Municipal Animal Shelter is no exception and has an abundance of adorable kittens available for adoption.
To reduce the feline population the Apple Valley Municipal Animal Shelter will offer cat adoptions for $10 beginning immediately and extending into June, which is Adopt-A-Cat month.
“Cat adoptions are normally $35 each,” explained Shelter Manager Gina Schwin-Whiteside. “Thanks to generous public donations, we have the funds available to sponsor 20 feline adoptions for $10 each.”
For every $250 in donations received now through June 30, an additional 10 cats can be adopted at this reduced rate. Donations can be made at the shelter, located at 22131 Powhatan Road at Quinault Road.
The American Humane Association offers the following checklist for families considering honoring Adopt-A-Cat month by adding a furry family member:
1. If you’re thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
2. Find a cat whose personality meshes with yours.
3. Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
4. Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home.
5. Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat.
6. Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
7. Cat-proof your home.
8. Go slowly when introducing your cat to new friends and family.
9. Be sure to include your new pet in your family’s emergency plan.
- If you’re considering giving a cat as a gift, make sure the recipient is an active participant in the adoption process.
For more information call 240-7000 x7555 or visit www.AVAnimals.org.