St. Mary’s Medical Center Awarded Grant To Prevent Breast Cancer

By Nolan Patrick Smith

High Desert Daily

(Apple Valley)– In a press release today from the Inland Empire Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the announcement was made that St. Mary Medical Center has been chosen to receive a grant in the amount of $55,624 to assist women with diagnostic services to detect and treat breast cancer.

The following quotes are taken directly from the press release:

“Often uninsured women under the age of 40 with breast related health care needs do not have access to services.  This grant by Susan G. Komen for the Cure® will help to fill the gap in services for these women,” said Laurie Roberts, Director of Community Health Department at St. Mary.  “We are additionally delighted that through collaboration with other grant recipients that our outreach to this population will be enhanced.  This grant will make a difference for our High Desert communities.”

The grant will go a long way in supporting community clinics and St. Mary’s mobile van, which combined already serves 750 uninsured women needing screenings and diagnostic services to detect breast cancer. By detecting the cancer early, many lives will be saved in the High Desert.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, with the Inland Empire Affiliate being one of 125 affiliates ready to detect and treat breast cancer in it’s earliest stages.

“At the Komen Inland Empire Affiliate, we conducted a needs assessment of our community and discovered that there was a need for patient navigation resources, including treatment and education services” said Sarah Bryant, Mission Programs Manager. “We are confident that through St. Mary Medical Center’s program, women in our community will have access to the care they need.”

About St. Mary Medical Center

Established in 1956, St. Mary Medical Center is a 202-bed acute care facility celebrating more than 50 years of healing in the High Desert. St. Mary is home to the High Desert’s only comprehensive cardiovascular surgery program. The Medical Center is fully accredited by the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP).

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Inland Empire Affiliate

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Inland Empire Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Inland Empire Race for the Cure®, the Inland Empire Affiliate has invested nearly $5.5 million dollars in community breast cancer programs throughout San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, including the Coachella Valley. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the Inland Empire. The remaining 25 percent fund national breast cancer research. Join us for the 13th Annual Komen Inland Empire Race for the Cure® Sunday October 16, 2011 at the Promenade in Temecula. For more information, call (951) 676-PINK (7465) or visit www.komenie.org.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *