(Hesperia)– the City of Hesperia and the County of San Bernardino entered into an agreement for the construction of a High Desert Public Safety Operations Center. This state-of-the-art Operations Center will include Sheriff/Coroner/Public Administrator and County Fire 9-1-1 Call and Dispatch Centers, as well as a fully functional Emergency Operations Center; a modern Public Safety Information and Intelligence Center; and all the related support and integrated technology amenities designed to the latest Essential Facilities Standards.
As the project enters into the final leg of the construction, extensive preparation is underway for the completion of the communications tower necessary to ensure that first responder radio messages, computerized information and response instructions are fully communicated to and from public safety personnel during emergencies. The tower will be partially constructed and equipped while on the ground and erected in three sections with the use of a large construction crane. The ground work is scheduled for November 12 – 16, 2012, with the physical lifting of the Tower assembly scheduled to occur the weekend of November 17-18, weather permitting.
The Operations Center project accomplishes several improvements and enhancements critical to the residents of Hesperia and the High Desert as a whole:
- Provides a new, state-of-the-art facility, with room for expansion, for the Desert Control Center;
- Makes possible and facilitates a major upgrade to the current 9-1-1 call system;
- Establishes a single High Desert location for Sheriff/Coroner/Public Administrator and County Fire dispatch (allowing for 20 year growth);
- Creates a second/redundant facility for various aspects of County Fire operations;
- Builds a formidable back-up Emergency Operations Center that can be activated in the event of a failure or emergency event that separates the High Desert from Valley Communications Center in Rialto;
- Creates a Public Safety Information and Intelligence Center that allows for cutting edge information gathering and sharing in real time;
- Establishes a 24/7 public safety presence at the facility.
For more information about this project, please contact City of Hesperia Project Management at 760.947.1202.