(Victor Valley)–– Once again, California State University, San Bernardino has been ranked among the top 10 higher education institutions in the state for the services it offers to military personnel and veterans, according to Military Advanced Education’s 2013 Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges and Universities.
CSUSB ranked sixth in California in MAE’s survey of more than 300 U.S. colleges and universities, including private, public, for-profit, not-for-profit, four-year and two-year colleges. They were evaluated in depth in four military-friendly categories:
- Support — including on-campus veterans center, faculty trained in veteran reintegration issues, full-time counselors trained in veteran-specific mental health concerns and on-campus child care;
- Financial — including in-state tuition for active duty service members, Yellow Ribbon program, veteran work-study program, military student-specific scholarships and tuition discounts and scholarships for dependents;
- Military culture — including on-campus ROTC, whether the campus is MyCAA-approved (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts financial program), membership in Service Members Opportunity Colleges; and
- Flexibility — including online learning options, extent of transfer credits accepted by degree level and presence on military installations.
“This year, our guide delivers the best of both worlds,” said Laural Hobbes, MAE’s editor. “While it’s based on more comprehensive research, there’s no need to navigate a data maze. Each school’s performance ranking by category is represented by an easy-to-recognize dashboard. This will enable prospective students to quickly target schools that are strongest in the military-friendly policies that are most important to them, and then put these in context with other academic or career considerations.”
In 2012, Cal State San Bernardino opened its new Veterans Success Center, made possible by a portion of the student success initiative fee. Some of the services offered are advocacy programs, a computer lab with free printing services and a lounge where veteran students can relax between classes. The center also sponsors events that foster military education and support and publishes a monthly newsletter, The Reveille.
“We are honored that MAE ranked CSUSB sixth out of California colleges and universities that were surveyed,” said Marci Daniels, director of the Veterans Success Center. “This rating acknowledges the importance and strong commitment that CSUSB veteran-serving staff and faculty place on educating those who have served our country.
“CSUSB not only provides our student veterans with exceptional value including a campus environment that appreciates military culture, offers top-notch programs and specialized military services, but also provides the education, financial and support benefits for veterans, military personnel and their family members,” said Daniels.
CSUSB veteran student Kenneth Jacobs, who has been a reservist in the U.S. Marine Corps for more than three years, says he chose Cal State San Bernardino because the campus is veteran and service member friendly.
“For example, CSUSB was very accommodating with allowing me to attend a later SOAR new-student orientation because I was away at Marine Corps training during my designated registration,” Jacobs said. “Other campuses were unsympathetic to the fact that I was away at required military training. Thanks to the supportive veteran-friendly staff throughout the campus, I was able to register, obtain my priority registration and begin my academic career.”
The 21-year-old biology major from San Bernardino said he appreciates the many services offered by the Veterans Success Center, including tutoring during finals week, which helped him pass his biology exam. He said he’s excited that through the efforts of the center, the campus is seeking to become an official SALUTE honor society satellite program designed specifically for veterans and service members.
“I also like the ambiance and environment that the center provides for its veterans,” Jacobs said. “It feels safe and is a place to relax and feel comfortable with other people who understand the military culture.”
In addition, for the third consecutive year, G.I. Jobs magazine named Cal State San Bernardino a military-friendly school, according to a national survey.
The top 10 higher education institutions in California that ranked as military-friendly schools are:
1. Allied American University, Laguna Hills
2. American Graduate University, Covina
3. Argosy University, Orange
4. Brandman University, Irvine
5. California Southern University, Irvine
6. California State University, San Bernardino
7. California State University, Chico
8. California State University, Stanislaus
9. Community Business College, Modesto
10. Golf Academy of America, San Diego
The 2013 Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges and Universities is available online at the Military Advanced Education website at http://www.mae-kmi.com.
For more information about CSUSB’s Veterans Success Center, contact Marci Daniels at (909) 537-5196 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Cal State San Bernardino, contact the university’s Office of Public Affairs at (909) 537-5007 and visit news.csusb.edu.