Working Smoke Detector Saves Residents Life at Apt. Fire

SBC fire

By Staff Reports

(Victorville)– Just after seven o’clock this morning the San Bernardino County Communications Centered received a report of an apartment fire in the 16300 block of Pebble Beach Dr. in the City of Victorville. A first alarm assignment was dispatched to include 4 engine companies, a truck company and a battalion chief.

Units en route to the fire reported smoke visible from their station and proceeded into the area to be hampered by a locked gate at the apartment complex.  With the help of residents inside the complex fire department apparatus found a multi-family apartment building of eight units with heavy smoke and fire coming from the windows and door of a second story apartment.  Immediately the engine companies began working on the fire using their hose lines as the truck company did what they do best and laddered the building and began to vertically ventilate to allow the interior crews better visibility to attack the fire.

Due to the size and complexity of the fire and number of potential apartments that could be affected, a second alarm was struck being an additional 4 engines, another truck company, a rescue, investigator and two additional battalion chiefs.  A total of 39 personnel responded.

The fire was contained to the apartment of origin which was completely destroyed to include the residents’ furnishings and personal belongings.  Three other apartments sustained moderate heat, smoke and water damage as well which has displaced two other families.  Red Cross was summoned to the scene to assist with the needs of those displaced.

Through the investigation, it was found that the resident had left food cooking on the stove and fell asleep.  She was alerted to the fire by a working smoke detector and discovered her apartment ablaze.  She attempted to put the fire out to no avail then exited the apartment and alerted her neighbors, who all exited the building safely without any injuries.  One firefighter sustained a minor injury to his eye; he was treated at the scene and was back to full duty at the fire.

The San Bernardino County Fire Department would like to remind the public to never attempt to put a fire out but to rather call 911 immediately and vacate the residence to a safe location.  It is also important to state that without this working smoke detector the outcome may have been a completely different one for this resident, PLEASE CHECK AND REPLACE YOUR BATTERIES THEY MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *