By Staff Reports
(Victor Valley)– Caltrans is providing an important safety message to I-15 Cajon Pass drivers. The I-15 southbound Cajon Pass bypass lane is now open with one lane available. This is part of the traffic reconfiguration for I-15 Paving Project to allow safe access to the contractor to repave the lanes in the Cajon Pass.
The bypass lane will open to two lanes next week on Thursday, October 9 and will be in effect through November.
BYPASS LANE SAFETY TIPS:
· The new alignment (bypass) of the crossover will have narrow lanes and will feel “tight” when driving
· Drivers need to slow down. 60 MPH is the absolute maximum that will be allowed
· Absolutely no commercial trucks or BUSES will be allowed to utilize the bypass
· Accidents in the bypass will cause delays, as there are no shoulders to remove vehicles to
· Caltrans has contracted with the CHP for a unprecedented level of enforcement
· Fines are doubled in the construction zone, and enforcement will be 24 hrs a day
· A normal trip through the bypass segment will take about 5 minutes. Take your time through this part of the construction zone.
We have provided a video of the new bypass configuration with one lane – the right lane will be open next week and is very narrow and close to k-rail and guardrail. Please watch the video to get a feel for the drive down the Pass.
Again, please help us get the word out on this important safety message. Thank you for your patience during the I-15 Cajon Pass Paving Project.