Board Seeks Applicants for Two New Building Panels

SBCoArrow - Color

By Staff Reports

(Victor Valley)– The Board of Supervisors is looking for residents to serve on two newly created construction review panels, the Building and Safety Appeals Board and the Physically Disabled Access Appeals Board.

“The missions of these boards are important, and I urge anyone who feels they are qualified and who is interested in serving their community to apply for a seat,” said Board of Supervisors Chairman James Ramos.

The Building and Safety Appeals Board is a technical review panel charged with considering cases in which property owners and builders believe the County has incorrectly applied the Building Code during plan review, construction, or to an existing building resulting in that building being declared substandard or unsafe. Applicants for this panel should be familiar with construction and the California Building Code.  The board has five seats plus three alternate positions.  Membership of the board shall include an architect; a fire protection engineer; a mechanical, plumbing, or electrical contractor; a real estate attorney; and a structural engineer.

Two members of this panel would also serve as members of the other newly created body, the Physically Disabled Access Appeals Board. The five -member board, with three alternates, will consider appeals to County decisions as they pertain to disabled access, consider ratification of certain exemptions to accessibility requirements, and serve as an advisor to the County Building Official on disabled access matters.

In addition to the two members from the Building and Safety Appeals Board, the Physically Disabled Access Appeals Board must also include two members who are physically disabled, and one member of the public.

Both panels will work toward achieving the Countywide Vision,, by capitalizing on the county’s diversity, ensuring a sustainable system of quality community elements, and governing in an open and ethical manner. Members of both panels would be appointed by the Board of Supervisors, and serve four-year terms.

Anyone who believes they are qualified and who is interested in serving on either panel may apply via the Internet at or in-person at the Office of the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, 385 N. Arrowhead Avenue, Second Floor, in San Bernardino.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *