By Staff Reports
(Victorville) – On Friday, August 28, Victor Valley Community College (VVCC) staff, students, as well as project partners, residents, and dignitaries from the Victor Valley community will join together to celebrate the dedication of the new Dr. Prem Reddy Health and Sciences Building. The ceremony is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m.
The $14.4 million project is funded by Measure JJ Bonds and the building marks the newest project to be constructed on the College campus since 2010 The project was also funded through a $2-million donation made by longtime Victor Valley resident and CEO of Prime Healthcare Services, Dr. Prem Reddy. The donation is the largest single charitable contribution in the college’s 55-year antiquity. “Caring individuals like Dr. Reddy make our campus a distinctive place, with an exceptional learning environment as students pursue their dreams.” stated Victor Valley College President Dr. Roger Wagner.
The 30,000 square foot, one-story building will feature several new highly specialized training labs and faculty areas dedicated to the study of Health and Sciences. The project features many energy efficient and sustainable elements meeting a LEED Silver equivalent design.
Located adjacent to and on the west side of the existing Science Building 31, the new facility brings vital support for many science programs and will be especially important to the VVCC’s Nursing Program by incorporating labs especially dedicated to Simulation, Fundamentals, Chemistry, Life and Physical Science, and Anatomy. The building also features a faculty suite and Dean’s office as well as indoor and outdoor student gathering and studying spaces to promote a collaborative and technology-driven learning environment.
The building will be open for students use Monday, August 31 for the beginning of the Fall 2015 semester.
The design-build team completing the project include Balfour Beatty Construction, Little Diversified Architectural Consulting and many small business partners and subcontractors from the local community. The equivalent of 32 full-time local jobs were created by the project, based on peak times of construction.
Victor Valley College Dr. Prem Reddy Health and Sciences Building Dedication Event Details:
Date: Friday, August 28, 2015
Time: 10:00 a.m. (Tours to follow)
Location: 18422 Bear Valley Rd. Victorville Ca. 92395
Size: 29,244-square feet
Financing: Project was funded through Measure JJ Bond funds, and $2-million donation from the Dr. Prem Reddy Family Foundation
Construction Start: May, 2014
Completion Date: July, 2015
Design-Builder: Balfour Beatty Construction
Architect: Little Diversified Architects
Building Opening: August 31st, 2015
- LEED Silver equivalent design for energy efficiency and sustainability.
- Facility features use of concrete masonry block walls for thermal massing, wall and roofing insulation at perimeter building envelope, and cool white reflective roof for the building’s energy efficiency and energy savings. Daylight design for reducing lighting use.
- Two new Anatomy labs for 28 additional students per lab.
- New chemistry lab for 28 students and Digital Science lab for 40 computer workstations.
- New nursing fundamentals lab with 8 simulated medical beds and instruction and demonstration space for up to 40 students.
- New student computer proctoring lab for up to 42 students.
- Five new nurse training rooms with observation and control room for each training room.
- Dean and faculty office spaces.
- Collaboration and learning spaces in outdoor courtyard and along interior corridors.
- High tech audio and visual equipment in lab and training spaces.
- Wireless network for students.