By Nolan P. Smith
(Apple Valley)—On September 19th, St. Joseph Health, St. Mary Foundation will hold its 24 Annual GALA. The funds raised from the gala will directly impact the High Desert community, as funds will go towards purchasing a new MRI machine to aid in the flow of patients and quality of healthcare.
St. Joseph Health, St. Mary Foundation are hoping for record setting numbers again this year, as they raised a record amount of funds last year, with a goal of purchasing a new operating table. With the goal broken, they were able to do much more.
“Last year’s funding goal was to be able to purchase one new operating table,” said Paul Kaminski, Vice president of Fund development (foundation). “We were actually able to purchase three. Two are being used for the operating suites and one is being used in “outpatient surgery”. Function and weight capacity are the hallmarks of the new tables, which replaced those which were 20 years old. They make a tremendous impact on our patient experience in surgery.”
The goal of a new MRI system would make a positive impact in our community. To upgrade the existing 2001 machine to a new 2015 one, it provides 7 generations of computer technology enhancements. These enhancements include:
– Faster Scan Times. (updated pulse sequences to increase speed and or increase resolution).
– Larger Patient Bore Size 70cm vs 60cm. (patient comfort).
– Reduced Noise- 95db vs 33db. (2 imagers have “silent scan”). ( my dishwasher is 46db).
– Non Contrast Angiographic Sequences ASL (Arterial Spin Labeling sequence allows to eliminate contrast use in renal compromised patients).
– Motion Reduction Imaging (great for imaging the body without breath-hold technique).
– New 16 channel configurations allow for greater signal to noise ratio. (increased image quality).
– One system has a rapid transport system. (requires only 1 patient move from bed to transport which integrates directly to the MRI table.)
The Gala will be held at the Hilton Garden Inn in Victorville on September 19th at 6:00 p.m. With limited seating and half of the tickets already sold, reservations need to be made soon if you plan to attend. This year’s GALA will play host to a very entertaining Johan Graham, from I-15 Auctions as the auctioneer followed by a high energy performance from Citrus College’s “Nightshift.”
For reservations, contact Jackie Morgan at the St. Mary Foundation office for further information and reservations at (760) 946-8167.