By Staff Reports
(DGIwire) – Few words are as disconcerting to homeowners as “mold.” Molds float through the air invisible to the naked eye and according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), they reproduce by means of tiny spores. Although usually not a problem indoors, mold can be an issue if the spores land on wet or damp spots and begin growing, the EPA notes. These have the potential to produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants and, in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins).
Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals, with responses including hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold—both immediate and delayed—are common, says the EPA; they can also cause asthma attacks in people who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.
“Given the risks posed by mold spores in indoor air, testing can be a wise option for concerned homeowners,” says Greg Sancoff, founder of Live Pure, a designer and manufacturer of products that help consumers assess the quality, health and safety of their indoor environments. “Advances in DIY test technology make it possible to assess the presence of mold in the air at relatively low cost and in a timely manner.”
Live Pure has created the yogí™, a brand new, do-it-yourself, all-in-one air and water test kit. In just a few easy steps, homeowners can test for the presence of nine environmental contaminants and toxins across a 2,000-square-foot area in their homes—including mold, allergens, lead, asbestos, radon, VOCs and formaldehyde in the air, as well as the levels of lead and copper in the drinking water. For larger homes, or to test specific rooms, extra test components can be purchased separately.
The test is extremely simple to use and comes with an easy-to-operate instrument, color-coded sampling system and step-by-step instruction manual. Homeowners collect their samples in just minutes (radon testing takes 48 hours), then send the samples to an independent, certified laboratory, which then emails a full lab report and results summary back to the homeowner within 10 business days.
The service includes a complimentary 15-minute consultation with Live Pure’s certified industrial hygienists should you receive a report with high contaminant levels. This unbiased consult equips you with the key information needed to address these challenges.
The yogí test kit made its debut to clinicians attending the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology’s Annual Scientific Meeting in Boston in October 2017.
“Many people suffer with allergy symptoms without understanding what might be an underlying cause,” Sancoff adds. “We hope that those who test their homes for mold, allergens and other toxins with the yogi can gain more knowledge and use this actionable data to move forward with addressing any issues.”