By Staff Reports
(Victor Valley)– The Military Services and Family Support (MSFS) program is offered through the Mental Health Services Act (MHSA), which was passed by California voters in 2004, and enacted in January 2005. Prevention and Early Intervention (PEI) is a component of MHSA which manages the MSFS program.
The MSFS program provides free in-home or community based screenings and assessments, family interventions, and rehabilitative support for military families in San Bernardino County. This approach increases the likelihood that military personnel will utilize services while also reducing stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness or seeking services.
The MSFS program services will be provided to the following population who are at risk or are experiencing the early onset of a serious mental illness:
– Active military members
– Service members of the Reserves and National Guard
– Recently retired military/veterans who served on or after September 11, 2001
– Military family members including children, transitional age youth, and adults
– Mental health and substance abuse screening
– Case management, education, and support
– Individual and group interventions
– Substance abuse prevention
– Individual, family, and couples counseling
– Short term mental health services for those experiencing the early onset of mental illness
For more information, please visit the San Bernardino County Behavioral Health page.