By Staff Reports
(Victor Valley)– In Southern California, 15 Kaiser Permanente hospitals were recognized as “high performing” in U.S. News & World Report’s 2019-20 Best Hospitals study.
The 30th annual study analyzes 25 specialties, procedures, and common conditions to assess hospital performance. High performers are based on evaluation of more than 4,500 medical centers and designate the 90th percentile of hospitals nationwide.
“We are delighted with U.S. News & World Report’s recognition of the excellent quality of care provided at our Kaiser Permanente hospitals,” said Julie Miller-Phipps, regional president for Kaiser Permanente in Southern California. “This recognition is the result of our excellent patient-centered care delivered by Kaiser Permanente physicians, and our nurses and staff every day.”
Here are highlights for Kaiser Permanente Southern California:
- 9 Kaiser Permanente hospitals in Southern California are ranked among the state’s best for overall care, with Los Angeles being the highest ranked at 28.
- Anaheim and Irvine are ranked 11th in the nation for pulmonology and lung surgery.
- Kaiser Permanente hospitals rated “high-performing” for specialty care are: Anaheim and Irvine (geriatrics), Los Angeles (neurology and neurosurgery), San Diego Zion, and San Diego Medical Center (pulmonology and lung surgery).
- Other Southern California hospitals ranked among California’s best for overall care include:
- Anaheim, Irvine, Fontana, Ontario tied for 37th
- Riverside, South Bay tied for 45th
- Baldwin Park, Downey tied for 52nd
“Our experienced and highly skilled physicians, nurses, and frontline staff put our members at the center of everything they do,” said Nancy Gin, MD, regional medical director of quality and clinical analysis for Southern California Permanente Medical Group, and executive vice president and chief quality officer for The Permanente Federation, the national umbrella organization for the more than 22,000 physicians who provide care to Kaiser Permanente’s more than 12.3 million members. “They are committed to ensuring our patients get healthy and stay healthy.”
In its hospital analysis, U.S. News & World Report uses publicly available data such as volume, mortality rates, infection rates, staffing levels, and patient satisfaction rates, among others. For more information and complete rankings, visit U.S. News & World Report.
Read about the other high performing hospitals at Kaiser Permanente.