By Staff Reports
(Apple Valley)– Apple Valley Police Department is reminding drivers to be mindful of students when traveling around schools.
“California law requires drivers to stop when a school bus is in front of them and extends its stop sign with flashing red lights. Drivers must remain stopped as long as the red lights are on.”
Following are more school safety tips, courtesy of Apple Valley Station.
• Walk on sidewalks and use marked crosswalks, preferably at stop signs or signals.
• Watch for cars entering/backing out of driveways or leaving parking spaces.
• If you need to walk into the street to maintain social distancing, remember to look both ways for cars.
• Always look left-right-left before crossing the street. Make sure cars see you. Continue scanning for cars when entering the crosswalk.
• Do not listen to loud music or use a phone when crossing the street.
• Slow down in school zones. Anticipate more foot and car traffic around schools for drop-off and pick-ups.
• Drivers in both directions must stop on any two-lane road without a median or two-lane road with a center turn lane.
• Avoid blocking the crosswalk when making a right-hand turn
• Follow school guidance related to dropping off or picking up students, as well as social distancing and face covering requirements.